What do I do if I lose the pass?

Call the Information Center at (360) 902-8844 and let our staff know that you have lost your pass. They will assist you with the process for replacing the pass. There is a $15 fee for the replacement pass.

Show All Answers

1. Does the Off-Season Pass take the place of the Discover Pass?
2. Do I leave the pass on my dashboard when visiting parks?
3. Is there a fee for the pass?
4. What do I do if I lose the pass?
5. Can I use my pass to reserve cabins, yurts or vacation houses?
6. Where can I find the rules for my pass?
7. Is my pass valid for Sno-Parks?
8. How do I use my discount pass for day-use parking at a State Park?