Jones Island Marine State park is a 188-acre marine camping park with 25,000-feet of saltwater shoreline on the San Juan channel. The park features a beautiful loop trail down the center of the island then around the western shore. A herd of black-tail deer live on the island. The deer have become habituated to the presence of humans and are quite tame.
Visitors often feed the deer resulting in their becoming dependent on handouts of unnatural foods and potentially dangerous interactions between wild animals and humans. Feeding wildlife is prohibited by law in State parks. Violators may be fined and evicted.
Picnic & Day-Use Facilities
Drinking water is available May through September. The park has two pit toilets and four composting toilets. There is no garbage service to the park. Visitors must pack-out what they pack-in.
Located in San Juan County on Puget Sound, Jones Island provides seven mooring buoys and 128 linear feet of dock moorage at the North Cove. The removal of the moorage dock at North Cove begins in October and installation begins at the end of March. All floats will be installed no later than May 1. Mooring buoys remain in place year-round.
Anchorage is good at both the North and South Coves, but boaters are exposed to continuous boat wakes due to heave boat traffic during summer months. There are no good anchorage sites on the east or west side of the island.
During periods of high atmospheric pressure, strong northerly winds may develop causing rough water conditions at the North Cove moorage area. During low atmospheric conditions, the South Cove may be subjected to strong southerly wind.
There is a marked reef at the northeast entrance to North Cove and several unmarked, but charted rocks along the southeastern shore. Mariners should consult their charts in these areas.
Moorage fees are charge year round from 1 p.m. to 8 a.m. All boaters must register upon arrival. Boats rafted to another boat, on a park facility, must also pay the appropriate fee.
Latitude: 48º 37' 4.99" N (48.6180) Longitude: 123º 2' 47.76" W (-123.0466)
The park has 24 primitive campsites which are on a first come first serve basis. Two of the sites are part of the Cascadia Marine Trail and strictly reserved for those arriving by human- or wind-powered watercraft. Drinking water is available May through September. The park has six composting toilets. There is no garbage service to the park. Visitors must pack-out what they pack-in.
The group camping area at the South Orchard area may be reserved by calling 360-378-2044.
Jones Island was named by the Wilkes Expedition in 1841 in honor of Captain Jacob Jones, U.S. Navy. Jones, while master commandant of the sloop-of-war Wasp, captured the British brig Frolic on October 18, 1812. The park was acquired from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 1983.