Iron Horse State Park Trail

Iron Horse State Park Trail is a 1,612-acre park that was once part of the path of the Chicago-Milwaukee-St. Paul-Pacific Railroad. More than 100 miles of trail extends from Cedar Falls to the Columbia River. High trestles provide spectacular views of the valley below.

Discover Pass: A Discover Pass is required for vehicle access to state parks for day use. For more information about the Discover Pass and exemptions, please visit the Discover Pass web page.
Automated pay station: An automated pay station is located at the Hyak trailhead for visitors to purchase a one-day or annual Discover Pass and Sno-Park permit  (Dec. 1-March 31).

  1. Activities
  2. Camping
  3. History
  4. Maps

ADA amenities/facilities

  • Restroom
  • Hiking trail



  • 110 miles of biking trails
  • 110 miles of hiking trails
  • 110 miles of horse trails

Water activities & features

  • Freshwater fishing

Winter activities & features

  • Cross-country skiing
  • Dog sledding
  • Snowmobiling
  • Snowshoeing

Other activities & features

  • Bird watching
  • Mountain biking
  • Rock climbing
  • Wildlife viewing

Interpretive opportunities

Kiosks and panels are installed at Hyak, Easton, South Cle Elum, Thorp, and Kittitas with a map of the trail and interpretive information.

Additional information

  • The 100-mile-long John Wayne Pioneer Trail meanders through a variety of ecosystems and geological zones.
  • No motorized vehicles are allowed on the trail with the exception of snowmobiles in winter, which are allowed from Stampede Pass Road to Cabin Creek.
  • Horse-drawn wagon users must obtain a gate combination access agreement from Lake Easton State Park.
  • Winter sport opportunities are available. A Sno-Park permit is required from Dec. 1 - March 31. A Discover Pass is also needed with a one-day Sno-Park Permit. For more information, call (509) 656-2230.
  • A recreational license is required for fishing and shellfish harvesting at Washington state parks. For regulations, fishing season information, or to purchase a recreational license, visit the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.