Fort Ebey State Park, a 645-acre camping park on Whidbey Island, was originally built as a coastal defense fort in World War II. Concrete platforms mark the gun locations. Panoramic views of the Puget Sound shoreline, the Olympic Mountains and sunsets. The park features paragliding, surfing and gun batteries to explore. Eagles may be viewed at Lake Pondilla. The park has three miles of saltwater shoreline on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, a freshwater lake for fishing, and miles of hiking and biking trails.
Please note: U.S. Navy jets from nearby Naval Air Station Whidbey Island periodically fly over the campground while engaged in local training. Depending on the direction of the wind, their flight pattern may put them above the park, creating noisy conditions for campers. At various times during the day and night, the aviators may engage in Field Carrier Landing Practice for imminent operations aboard aircraft carriers. The park and naval station have been neighbors since 1942, and park staff stays in regular contact with officials at NAS Whidbey Island. We will do our best to notify campers of anticipated Field Carrier Landing Practice periods. Although State Parks cannot be responsible for the jet noise, we do share visitor concerns with representatives of Naval Air Station Whidbey.
The park has 25 unsheltered picnic tables. Picnic sites are located at the Gun Battery, the beach area, and the Point Partridge area. All unsheltered picnic tables are first come, first served. There are two reservable log picnic shelters. The shelter areas have two covered picnic tables, two uncovered picnic tables, and two large BBQ grills. One shelter is located near the beach area and has a medium size grass area. The second shelter is located at the Gun Battery picnic area and has a grass area. The Beach picnic shelter will accommodate up to 50 people. The Gun Battery picnic shelter will accommodate up to 150 people.
An additional Special Activity Permit is required for group activities and events such as wedding ceremonies, races, other sports events etc. For additional information and a permit contact the park at (360) 678-4636.
25 miles of biking trails
28 miles of hiking trails
Water Activities & Features
Other Activities & Features
Visitors may explore concrete bunkers built for the original military fort in 1942.
There are two large fields that will accommodate sports activities, but there are no nets or field-markings.
There is a popular surfing area on the park's saltwater shoreline.
Seaweed harvesting is allowed at this park from April 16 - May 15 with a seaweed and shellfish license.
Lake Pondilla has limited fishing for smallmouth bass. The short walk to the lake is not vehicle-accessible.
A recreational license is required for fishing and shellfish harvesting at Washington state parks. For regulations, fishing season information, or to purchase a recreational license, visit the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.
The park has 39 standard campsites, 11 utility campsites with electricity and water hook-ups, one water trail campsite available only to campers who arrive at the park in human-powered watercraft, one restroom (ADA), and two showers (one ADA). Maximum site length will accommodate most extra large RVs (limited availability). There is no trailer dump station available at this park. The reservation season runs May 15 through September 15.
The park provides a group camp that accommodates up to 60 people. The camp is located on a bluff down the Point Partridge Road. A vault toilet and running water are at the site. Flush toilets and showers are a 5-minute walk down an easy trail. Minimum number of people is 20 with a maximum of 60. Maximum number of cars is 30. The group camp is open April 1 through October 31.
Reservations & Fees
Reservations can be made online or by calling 888-CAMPOUT (888-226-7688). For fee information, check out our camping rates page.
Services & Supplies
Firewood, ice, water, and t-shirts are available for sale at the park office.
Fort Ebey, constructed in 1942, was named after the pioneer commander of the 1855 militia stationed on an island in Ebey Slough. The park stands on the site of a World War II gun battery which had two 6-inch guns in place during the war. The guns were later removed and scrapped.