Mandatory Boater Education

Boater Education Card Example
Boaters in Washington need to have their Washington State Boater Education Card with them when operating a boat 15 horsepower or greater. Boater operators born before January 1,1955 are exempt but may choose to get a card if they plan to boat in Canada or Oregon since both require mandatory education. 

Getting a Boater Education Card

Applicants will need to complete the following requirements:
  1. Take one of the following approved boater education courses:
  2. Then complete and submit the Boater Education Card Application, along with $10, and a legal copy of your proof of course completion. 
When should I get my card? If you don't receive your card within 90 days, please contact State Parks Boating Program at or (360) 902-8555.

‚ÄčReplacing a Boater Education Card
You may apply for a replacement card if your legal name has been changed, you need to correct personal information you entered incorrectly, or your card was lost, stolen, or destroyed. The fee for a replacement card is $5. 

To receive a replacement card:
  1. Complete a Boater Card Replacement Affidavit
  2. Completed affidavit along with a check or money order for $5, made payable to Washington State Parks
  3. Mail to:  Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
                  Boating Programs
                  P.O. Box 34333
                  Seattle, WA 98124-1333

    Please allow four to six weeks to process an affidavit and receive a replacement card.